Who Do United ACTUALLY Need to Buy?

Now that the season has ended, and United have achieved the target of getting back into the top four, Louis van Gaal has a new challenge for next season: winning the title. I personally don’t believe that we are really that far away from being able to at least compete for the title. 
After such an appalling start to the season, I think United have done a good job to even finish fourth. Had we started well, we could have been really challenging Chelsea for the top spot. But that being said, I do think that United need a few tweaks to really hit the level required to be champions again next year.

For starters, I think it’s glaringly obvious for all to see that we are desperate for a top quality centre back. Chris Smalling has had an excellent season, and in the last few weeks has gone some way to becoming a leader on the pitch. But his partner Phil Jones has not been quite as impressive. He seems nervous on the ball, unsure in his decision making, and generally just not the type of player that fills the United faithful with confidence. 

Smalling needs a top quality partner, and there are a few options. The one that most people will suggest is Mats Hummels. I am aware of how he was terrific in the World Cup, and how great he has been for Dortmund in the past. But this year he’s not had a great season, just look at Dortmund’s defensive record before Christmas! Injuries and question marks over his pace make me think he wouldn’t quite be as perfect as some people seem to believe he would be. 

In my opinion, a better option may be Aymeric Laporte of Athletic Bilbao. He’s young, he’s talented, and could probably be bought for less than Hummels. The same goes for Otamendi at Valencia, who United have been strongly linked with recently.

I also believe United need a right back, with Rafael seemingly frozen out by van Gaal. Clyne, Coleman or Carvajal would be perfect for United, and if we can get one of those, we can stop relying on Antonio Valencia – who has worked remarkably hard, but simply isn’t a defender. 
This would help to sure up the defence and especially with Clyne, could help to improve the attack. Imagine an in-form Luke Shaw and Nathaniel Clyne on either wing, supporting Di Maria and Depay. Opposition teams wouldn’t be able to handle that sort of pace.

A central midfielder is also vital. Michael Carrick has been relied upon far too often this season, and our poor record without him shows how important he is to the team. Cover or a replacement for him is crucial. Daley Blind looks as though he may be able to take on the Carrick role later in his career, but at the moment just doesn’t quite look quite good enough. Someone like Gündogan or Pogba would be ideal. 

Gündogan looks to be more likely and would be a fantastic signing, but Pogba would be even better. The issue with him comes down to money, and pride. The idea of shelling out £50 million for a player we let leave for free really doesn’t sit well with me, and I’m sure the money-men at United feel the same. But would we rather own up to the mistake of letting him go, or allow him to join a rival? It would be devastating if someone like Manchester City were to sign him as I think he could be exactly the type of player to fire them to the title.

This summer is going to be very important for United, and if we really are aiming to win the title and challenge in Europe next season, it has to be a great transfer window. I expect us to make several top quality signings, and hopefully they can take us towards at least a top two finish next season. I fully expect a challenge for the title next year, but I won’t be getting carried away. Winning the league would be a remarkable achievement, and not one we should be demanding just yet.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Ed Woodward has the hardest job in the world

United To Move For Milner?

What to do with Robin van Persie